HOVR: our patented technology
The best of both worlds
The Cavorite X7’s unique fan-in-wing design combines the agility and versatility of a helicopter with the speed and strength of a conventional aircraft.
Within the transforming wings are 14 powerful lift fansthat provide the required thrust for vertical takeoff.
Upon reaching a safe altitude and 115km/hr, sliding panels hide the fans, and the X7 flies like a normal plane.
For landing, it can use a normal runway, or the fans can be deployed to touchdown on a helipad, or an area the size of a tennis court.
A cleaner future starts now: using current technology the Cavorite X7 can operate with up to 30% less hydrocarbon emissions than conventional aircraft conducting similar operations. As battery technologies evolve, the aircraft can become fully electric.
Engineered for maximum safety in all weather, with flight into known icing conditions as a certification goal. Deploying 14 highly redundant lift fans in hover, multiple failures can be tolerated to little effect: our prototype has hovered with 30% of the fans disabled.
Our conservative simulations indicate the Cavorite X7 could offer as much as 30% lower direct operating costs than a helicopter conducting a similar regional transport mission. And it will be able to move people and cargo at almost twice the speed of a traditional helicopter.
- Performance estimates for the Cavorite X7 are based on extensive computational fluid dynamics estimates.
- Joby Aviation, Production Launch Investor Presentation, June 2023.
- Archer Aviation, “Aircraft” on main web page, www.archer.com, October 2023.
- Lilium, Company Presentation, www.lilium.com, January 2024.
- Ehang, www.ehang.com, October 2023.